On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 10:41:56 +0800
W.Kenworthy wrote:

> Experience across a number of cards on a number of machines (both
> running 2.4 and early 2.6 kernels) says otherwise - and its not working
> so its worth a try!

actually if you read the original post the card IS working, the original
question was asking about how a certain setting got set, as below:

> I've got an older machine whose NIC uses the ne module. When I run
> generate-modprobe.conf, I get the following two lines (among others) in
> my modprobe.conf:

[snip]

> This is all gentoo 2005.0. I'm brand new to this, so could someone
> explain to me what is causing the original two lines in the
> modprobe.conf file, and what file I can edit (and how) to make the
> modules system do what I want?

And the answer I suspect may be running a script called "generate-modprobe.conf"
which I have never heard of. Unless something has changed the script is
"update-modules" on gentoo.

generate-modprobe.conf seems to come from module-init-tools and
update-modules from baselayout. I suspect that the former is generic and
the latter specific to gentoo.

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>