----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Sanders" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2005 2:52 AM
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eterm issue

> On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 15:58:11 +0200
> "Arek Murzyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I've done something recently on my gentoo and I don't remember what but
till
> > that moment I cannot run Eterm or xterm when logged as user. When logged
as
> > root everything is working. This issue is known on the web but solutions
> > does not satisfy me Eterm.
> > There are messages:
> > "Can't open pseudo-tty --No such file or directory"
> > "Unable to run sub-command"
> > Then Eterm window raises and there is only "Hit any key to exit"
> > I checked:
> > - /dev/pty is compiled in kernel
> > - /dev/pty directory exists and all files within
> > - symbolic links in /dev exists too
> > - changed rights to all these files to rwxrwxrwx - nothing helped
> > 2.6.12r6, 2005.0
> > What can I do more? Changin debugging level in Eterm gives nothing.
> >

> Did you use Unix98 PTY or Legacy (BSD) Pty?
> Also, are you using udev?
> And you have Virtual terminal?
>
> fwiw - I haven't seen it here with Unix98 ptys, udev, and 2.6.12-r4.

I use udev and Legacy(BSD) with 2.6.12-r6. How to check if I use virtual
terminal?
How to switch to Unix98 - I can't find this option in menuconfig.
Very strange is that root can open eterm without problems, any user (even
with additional group 'root') can't.
I see some messages in logs about pam authentication. Could it be related to
that?

Thanks,

Arek