On 2011-05-10, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 16:40 on Tuesday 10 May 2011, Grant Edwards
> did opine thusly:
>
>> I ran emerge --depclean the other day on one of my machines and it
>> removed Python 2.6.  I was using Python 2.6 as my "default" python,
>> and depclean's removal of it broke a _lot_ of stuff.  About a half
>> day's worth of hassle later I had Python 2.6 re-installed and my
>> system was again usable.
>>
>> In order to avoid the same circus on my other machines, how do I
>> prevent emerge --depclean from removing Python 2.6?
>
> Put that slot in world:
>
>=dev-lang/python:2.6
>
> I suppose there are better and more automagically elegant ways of doing it,
> but this works.

Thanks!

(you need to leave out the '=').

> I think the issue happens because portage does not take eselect
> choices into account when building it's dep graph, it only uses the
> DEPENDS in ebuilds.

Apparently so.  It seems like it ought to pay attention to eselect.
If I've explicitly configured my system to use 2.6 instead of 2.7,
removing 2.6 doesn't seem like a good thing...

> You likely have nothing left that explicitly uses 2.6 and all the
> ebuilds depend only on python 2 point something
>
> When you finally choose to remove python-2.6, you simply have to
> emerge -C it and not rely on --depclean

Yup.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I like the way ONLY
                                  at               their mouths move ...  They