On 5/10/2011 18:25, Indi wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:20:02AM +0200, Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I was curious, what's the results of the openrc update for people that have
>>> done theirs?  Is it pretty simple and "just works" or are there issues?  I'm
>>> mostly interested in x86 and amd64 since that is what I have.  Just a simple
>>> works here and I'm X86 or amd64 would be nice.  List issues if you had any.
>> I'm using ~amd64 and upgraded long, long, long ago. No problems at all
>> during or after the upgrade. I would expect it to be even smoother
>> process now than it was then.
>>
>> IIRC the biggest deal with the baselayout/openrc upgrade was that you
>> must update a bunch of config files, which are not necessarily all
>> blind/trivial updates. Failing to update them could make rebooting a
>> sad experience.
> Same here, on x86 and ppc. Most of it was handled automatically and
> the rest via dispatch-conf. Works just fine.

Went pretty smoothly for me following the upgrade guide.  I have a
gentoo based iptables firewall with a fairly complicated network setup
with postup()  functions.  I made the mistake of taking out the BASH
syntax (the surrounding parens, etc) on my postup() function based on
the guide, wondering if it'd work or not, and sure enough it wanted the
old BASH style syntax for those functions, but the new style (w/o
parens, and quoted blocks with CRs) on the "normal" sections.

They should probably make a note of this in the config guide.

It's good to see they added in support for iproute2 rules natively
instead of requiring a postup() function.  I'd like to see them add a
similar functionality for adding static ARP entries too (right now using
my own postup() for that).

-Jim