On 5/11/2011 7:31 PM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
On Wednesday 11 May 2011 22:14:55 Mike Edenfield wrote:

The only problem with LC_ALL is that it overrides all of the other LC_*
variables.

- which is precisely what most ordinary desktop users want. In such a case it's
a useful shorthand. Personally, I have no intention of ever allowing US
"English" to pollute any of my boxes (no offence meant to anyone here), so
LC_ALL="en_GB.UTF-8" suits me (so far - until I trip over something!).

That was actually my point. I set LC_ALL in 02locale on my workstations/laptops, and so far I haven't had any need to change it. IMO, LC_ALL makes much more sense than LANG for the "catch-all LC_* variable name" so that's what I use.

On a multi-user box, I would probably make a different choice.

--Mike