http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=6 seems to have a circular reference, that is, suggesting the use of the subject utility prior to chrooting and having any such utility in $PATH. I've never installed Gentoo before, so maybe I've missed something. Or maybe that page could use another link or some rewrite to clarify?

I tried to find an answer via http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/ but it seems to lack a search function/box. :-(

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/