On Tue, 17 May 2011 17:52:32 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
On Tuesday 17 May 2011 15:42:35 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
Hi,

I have two (nearly) identical machines, both running ~amd64 Gentoo up-
to-date and with a (nearly) identical set of installed packages.

Still, on one of these machines KDE crashes with that infamous polkit-
kde-authentication-agent-1 segmentation fault.

On the other machine there is no problem.

How can one smartly compare two Gentoo installations.

Currently I would have to produce an md5sum of all files in
/etc /usr /var and / and compare these. But there are dozens of
thousands of files in these directories.

won't work. Even if the binaries in /usr are compiled with the same
settings,
just the different times of creation will result in different md5sums.

What you want to do is: find the bug.

As far as i remember, i don't see why modification times will enter in the md5sum computation process, as they are not part of the file but of the filesystem's inode... it's definitely possible to compare two binaries on two different system if they are compiled with the same compiler version and libraries !

--
Blog: http://gentooist.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/blakawk