Apparently, though unproven, at 14:34 on Saturday 21 May 2011, Jarry did opine
thusly:

> Hi,
> I'd like to disable some apache modules (mod_autoindex and
> mod_userdir). I checked /etc/apache2/httpd.conf, but it says
>
> # GENTOO: Automatically defined based on APACHE2_MODULES
> # USE_EXPAND variable.
> # Do not change manually, it will be overwritten on upgrade.
>
> OK, when this is not recommended way, I tried to set it up
> in /etc/make.conf:
>
> APACHE2_MODULES="${APACHE2_MODULES} -autoindex -userdir"
>
> But when I try re-emerge apache, I get a lot of errors like this:
>
> Invalid '-' operator in non-incremental variable 'APACHE2_MODULES':
> '-autoindex'
>
> So how can I control which apache modules are build and loaded?
>
> Jarry

APACHE2_MODULES is non-incremental (the output message says so right there)
which means you can't take stuff out. You can only prevent it ever going in:

Remove the things you don't want from APACHE2_MODULES in /etc/make.conf

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com