On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 08:10:02PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 16:38 on Sunday 22 May 2011, Indi did opine
> thusly:
>
> > It's unfortunate that we don't have small, fast, light, standalone
> > programs to deal with the formats of word, excel, powerpoint, etc but
> > if we did odds are most people would shun them for a big, bloaty
> > office suite anyway. Personally, I'd love it if I could open and edit
> > those office formats in vim...
>

> What makes you think they don't *already* exist?

The fact that none of your examples fit the bill.

> Small, fast, light, standalone: yeah, they are all there.

Your definition of "small, fast, and light" strikes me as most
peculiar. Anything that requires a full-bloat DE (or enoough of its libs
it might as well do so) is not "standalone" by any definition, and is unlikely
to be "small, fast, and light". I know all things are relative, but be
real.

--
caveat utilitor