On Monday 23 May 2011 02:42:21 Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Bill Longman <bill.long...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Obvious fix: don't use konsole.
> >
> > Use xterm.
> >
> > --
> > Bill Longman
>
> Bill,
>    That's not a fix as it isn't konsole I care about but things like
> oocalc, systemsettings and other things which all fail with the same
> error message.
>
>    As of yet I haven't figured out what the update process messed up
> by something has gone sideways on that machine.
>
> - Mark

Mark,

Can you start anything that isn't KDE-related?
Like xclock, xterm,...?

That way we can check if the problem is SSH/X  related or KDE-related.

You could also try starting a VNC-session to see if that would allow you to
start programs.

Is "dbus" actually running? And is it included in the USE-flags?
Also, later KDE versions require policykit/consolekit,

Consolekit has a service as well that needs to be running.

--
Joost