On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 04:30:02PM +0200, Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 7:46 AM, Indi <thebeelzebubtrig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > For people already running kde it's ok, but for the rest of us
> > it's a bit ridiculous, isn't it?
>
> If he was already using Qt4, it might not have seemed so bad. ;) I
> think much of that list are from Qt4 and its dependencies. Other than
> kdelibs, kde-env, kdepimlibs, oxygen-icons I don't see much generic
> KDE stuff (not counting koffice since that's what he was installing).

Last I tried it, you can't run much of that stuff without the
whole "kdeinit" thing, which is a giant resource hog (relatively
speaking, for those of us accustomed to running trim, fast, light
systems). That why I said it's become like an OS unto itself.
I remember when people used to carry on about bloaty GNUstep libs,
and I said "but those *are* small, fast, and light" and people
responded to me in the manner I've responded to kde people who say
that about kde. So it really is all quite relative...
:)

My standard is simple: it has to be able to work without a mouse,
and when I hit the keys, I want to see results *immediately* --
real results, not a "wait" dialog or spinny thing.

--
caveat utilitor