On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 13:56, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:
>> Meh, I clicked 'Send' too fast.
>>
>> *My* suggested solution:
>>
>> Generate an initramfs containing udev. The hands-down easiest way is
>> using genkernel's 'only create an initramfs' switch (sorry I forgot
>> what exactly).
>
> good god no, please, anything but genkernel.
>
> That thing is an attempt to emulate binary distros which require an
> initramfs to work properly (for any sane definition of "work") as the
> person building the installer has no idea what hardware the user will
> have. In Gentoo the user knows exactly what they have so there's no
> need for a gigantic hardware-detecting workaround at boot time.
>
>> This needs to be done exactly once throughout the life of your VM.
>>
>> (To the herd of Gentoo graybeards, feel free to CMIIW)
>
> Or wait a few days for vapier's (posting under his other name of
> spanky) sane advice to be implemented. His proposal is the sole voice
> of reason in that bug thread....

True. But I was having problem installing 2 servers on top of XenServer.

So I cheated and ran 'genkernel initramfs' exactly once. At least I
got myself a booting system. :-)

When SpanKY's makedev gets stabilized and pushed to baselayout, I'll
then happily ditch the genkernel cheat for my next VMs :-)

Rgds,
--
Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~