On Wednesday 01 June 2011 00:14:04 Neil Bothwick wrote:

> It's quite simple logic... If a file is modified, it is no longer the file
> portage installed, so portage does not uninstall it. If anything, the
> problem is that the logic used by portage is too simple.

I don't think it's too simple. It seems exactly right for the task to me:
clear, predictable and easily understood.

> A customised file contains an investment of the user's time, a generic
> file does not. That investment may be small or great, but it is not
> for portage to determine that value and remove the file without the
> user's consent.

Personally, I'd be livid if portage were to remove my carefully crafted work
from time immemorial, without so much as a by-your-leave. Anyone who wants
to delete his own work is free to do so, but the rest of us ought not to be
required to suffer it.

--
Rgds
Peter