Can anyone see where I'm going wrong.

I'm behind a NAT box which precludes my use of active-FTP but not passive. I have verified this both with Windows based FTP clients and with the latest unmasked "vanilla" ftp from portage. When I try to use ncftp, however, I run into difficulties:

--
NcFTP 3.1.8 (Jul 27, 2004) by Mike Gleason (http://www.NcFTP.com/contact/).
ncftp> set passive on

Welcome to the JISC National Mirror Service.

... <<Blurb omitted>>....
Logging in...

Login successful.
Logging in...
Logged in to ftp.mirror.ac.uk.

ncftp / > ls
Data connection timed out.
List failed.
ncftp / >
--

NCFTP also fails when I leave passive at the default "optional" (which allegedly automatically determines if passive ftp is required) - and when I set passive to on, off or optional in .ncftp/prefs_v3.

Does ncftp work in passive mode for other people?