Apparently, though unproven, at 14:57 on Friday 03 June 2011, Florian Philipp
did opine thusly:

> Am 03.06.2011 14:25, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 14:18 on Friday 03 June 2011, Volker
> > Armin
> >
> > Hemmann did opine thusly:

> [...]
>
> [...]
> >>
> >> samba?
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Samba works nicely for ad-hoc connections, the kind of thing Windows
> > clients would do. And it's a lot more tolerant of connections going away
> > than NFS.
>
> I always was under the impression that NFS is more fault-tolerant on the
> network because of its usage of stateless UDP connections whereas CIFS
> usually freezes when the connection is lost. In the end, both issue an
> IO error, usually crashing an unprepared application. So, in which
> regard performs CIFS better with interrupted connections?

I find that when an NFS server disappears from the client's view, the only
thing that brings it back is making the server visible again. True, there are
options that modify this behaviour (hard, soft) but they come with their own
risks as described in the man page.

Trying to unmount an NFS mount with no server is painful, and all too easy to
do if you carry your laptop to a meeting room in another building.

CIFS can usually at least be killed (depending on how it's mounted) - a
kioslave in konqueror for example is easy to kill.

Neither option is well suited for laptops IMO but on balance CIFS tends to be
easier for the user to deal with.

> That being said, I always use NFS over TCP because of performance issues
> with UDP and wireless LAN.

Smart move. I genuinely feel that the use-case for NFS over UDP has largely
gone away in these modern times and TCP is the better choice for normal use.

OT, but the same applies to auth systems i.e. tacacs vs radius

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com