On Aug 10, 2005, at 9:49 AM, Billy Holmes wrote:

Christian Parpart wrote:

However, I once have (accidently!) thrown down one harddrive of mine from within 60cm distance down while moving to a new tower/ rac; I were nearly

many moons ago, I had a 300 meg IDE drive that I bought for a dollar - and this was when drives sold for about a buck a megabyte. A lady brought in her computer with a broken harddrive. It would not spin up, but after I accidently dropped it on the table, it started working. We replaced her HD, and I asked the owner if I could buy the broken HD for a dollar.

I stuck it in my BBS machine at the time, and it lasted 2 years for me. It would work great so long as I did not power down the machine, then I had to tap the harddrive, or bang it with a pen while it was trying to power up. One day the power went out, and when it came back on, the HD would not spin up despite my "tender care" - it had died. I knew that day would come, so I had current backups.

They just don't make them like they used to :)

Probably was suffering from "stiction"  (google it)

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Your Web App and Email hosting provider