2011/6/22 Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk>:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 10:18:05 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
>> The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
>> #required by www-client/dillo-2.2, required by mail-client/claws-
>> mail-3.7.9-r1[dillo], required by claws-mail (argument)
>> >=x11-libs/fltk-2.0_pre6970-r1 -cairo
>
>> Any reason why portage is telling me to set a USE that is already
>> there per portage's own output?
>
> As Daniel said, this is what portage needs, it's been that way since the
> autounmask stuff was introduced. Or you could emerge Claws with -dillo
> and use the fancy plugin for HTML rendering. I stopped using the dillo
> renderer years ago.

Actually it is like that since the introduction of use-dependencies
like cat/pkg-ver[use] and _before_. Autounmask ist just for the users
convenience to copy paste the needed changes to package.use. I guess
the reason for this coming up more often is that develpopers start to
use use-dependencies more often.

Before the introduction of use dependencies the only possible way was
to stop emerge at build time and tell the user he needs USE="X" for
package Y. With use dependencies it is now possible to inform the user
about it when resolving the dependencies.

So nothing has changed. If a package requires use settings which are
different from the defaults you have to override this on a per package
basis via package.use.

--
Regards,
Daniel