On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 Jun 2011 14:29:58 Mark Knecht wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> > Heads up for folks about to do their updates, check into the USE flag
>> > fortran to see if you need to add it to yours before updating a bunch of
>> > stuff.
>> >
>> > Dale
>>
>> This is my one strange, mystery global use flag. It's been turned on
>> in make.conf on every Gentoo machine I've run since I started with
>> Gentoo in 2002. I've been paranoid to turn it off! :-)
>
> What is your make.profile?

These days it's KDE. (Currently eselect #4)

> Here it is not set:
>
> $ euse -i fortran
> global use flags (searching: fortran)
> [-      ] fortran - Adds support for fortran (formerly f77)
>
> local use flags (searching: fortran)
> no matching entries found
>

> Although gcc seems to have it hardcoded:
>
> $ euse -I fortran
> global use flags (searching: fortran)
> [-      ] fortran - Adds support for fortran (formerly f77)
>
> Installed packages matching this USE flag:
> sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5
>
> local use flags (searching: fortran)
> no matching entries found
>

> $ ls -la /etc/make.profile
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 56 Dec 16  2010 /etc/make.profile ->
> ../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

Yeah, I don't suggest I need it. I'm just saying I've had it selected
for nearly 10 years. I think it was in a lot of example docs, as Dale
say, waaaay back. I put it in mine and just left it there. It became
almost a superstition with me! ;-)

As I am a user type and not a dev, I didn't know then, and actually
don't now, that something on the system isn't actually programmed in
Fortran and that removing it would cause a problem so I've just left
it in forever. It never seemed important enough to go figure out since
it only directly effected gcc ebuilds which is a big build and not
done very often.

I guess I can stop playing scaredicat and remove it. :-)

- Mark