On Wednesday 22 June 2011 15:44:40 Neil Bothwick did opine thusly:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:41:57 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > It is unset here (well, it's not set, actually - same thing)
>
> autounmask is set by default, you need to explicitly set it to off.

So,

is it invisibly on then? I don't have it in make.conf and it's not in
FEATURES:

$ emerge --info | grep FEATURES
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs buildsyspkg collision-protect
distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles fixpackages metadata-transfer news
parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict
unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv
usersandbox usersync"

> > I'm a sysadmin, I have an inherent distrust of all things
> > software and automagic-config-changers are scary things indeed
> > :-)
>
> autounmask doesn't actually do anything, it only tells you what
> should be added to /etc/portage/package.use. You need to use
> autounmask-write for that, which doesn't play nicely if package.use
> is a directory[1]. However, it does respect the --ask flag, making
> it safe for all but the most paranoid BOFHs (no names Alan) to use.
>
> [1] It writes to a file of its choosing in that directory, with no
> regard to its relevance. I'd prefer it to write to something like
> packagename.autounmasked or even just packagename as it adds a
> comment to the file to explain the content.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, still sounds like something that should be banned. For
me at least.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com