On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 18:18, Albert Hopkins <mar...@letterboxes.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, June 23 at 09:54 (+0200), Joost Roeleveld said:
>
> > > Any such program to build XenServer appliances (.xva) ?
> >
> > Shouldn't it work similarly?
> > Eg. start an appliance and install using the stage4?
> >
> > I use Xen directly and as long as I can create and fill the partitions
> > for the
> > VM, any "creation" tool should work.
>

> Yes the stage4 should work similarly.  However Pandu was asking about
> building ".xva" which I know nothing about, unless an .xva is similar
> to/same as a stage4 (I have no idea)?

Um, an ".xva" is more like a qcow2 file.

With Citrix' XenCenter, all I have to do is "import" the xva, and
XenServer automagically creates a VM with a specified RAM, specified
storage, specified cores, etc.

Of course these settings (RAM, storage, cores) can be modified
post-import, but usually xva-makers already set the settings to the
recommended minimum. So, it saves the xva users from planning stage
:-)

Plus, xva-packaged appliances are usually already configured to run in
PV-mode, thus giving the highest performance over XenServer.

Rgds,
--
Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~