On Thursday 23 June 2011 23:30:04 Peter Humphrey did opine thusly:
> On Wednesday 22 June 2011 23:35:37 Dale wrote:
> > Maybe we have something different then.  I don't have
> > blas-reference on here anymore either.  My point was, disabling
> > fortran to remove it only lead to other stuff being required.
> > I think there is more on here now than there was before.  So,
> > removing fortran to get rid of bloat didn't help any because it
> > just required a different set of bloat.
>
> Maybe it's time to make a backup, then remove all USE flags from
> make.conf and package.use, set your profile to
> default/linux/<arch>/10.0/desktop/kde and rebuild. Alan and Neil's
> idea of a set of the meta-packages you want sounds good to me too.
>
> Then you'll really have a clean system.

You will have whatever system the profile maintainer thinks the
average user should have, bloated to whatever degree said maintainer
thinks is a good idea.

No USE flags set does not mean no options set, it means default. And
default sets plenty flags ON

> I may follow suit - I built this system with kde-meta for
> simplicity, but of course it now has a lot of stuff I don't want,
> including Fortran. I tried rebuilding with -fortran as I said a few
> minutes ago, but portage wanted ifc instead.

kde-meta gives you all the stuff that's useful on the average system,
plus all of accessibility, kdebindings, kdeedu, games, the sdk, toys
and maybe even webdev.

I can't think of the kind of user that truly does actually need all of
that.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com