On 2011-07-02 17:41, Grant wrote:
> My motherboard is getting flaky and it's time for a new one.  I have
> an AMD 6000+ CPU, 4GB DDR2/800 RAM, 2TB SATA2 HD, Blu-Ray burner, PCI
> wireless card, 400W power supply, and ATX case.  I could replace any
> of these components if it's worthwhile for some new feature, but I may
> as well keep them if it's not.

How do you know it's the motherboard and not the PSU for instance?

> The most important thing is reliability and Linux compatibility but I
> also need HDMI and I figure USB 3.0 is a good idea.  The system is for

HDMI is available on most (all?) modern graphics cards, not sure if
built-ins have them though... USB 3 cards are also available.

> playing music and movies, no gaming whatsoever.  If you're familiar

Sounds like you want a "htpc" setup.

> with the current hardware scene, where would you go from here as far
> as a motherboard and other components?  Any features a Gentoo'er
> should look for?

Decide roughly (Intel/AMD chipsets, features, expansion capabilities
etc.) on what motherboard you want and compare reviews of it...

I know others swear by Nvidia graphics but personally I will not touch
them (not for chipsets either due to lackluster/no open driver linux
support)... it's AMD (formerly ATI) for me (just don't buy the latest,
greatest unless you want to wait for open driver support, even though
they've seem to have picked up the pace). AMD does have some great
fanless graphics cards, perfect for htpc...

HTH

Best regards

Peter K