On Monday 04 Jul 2011 17:15:55 Joshua Murphy wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> And to further complicate it, many also use a similar technique for
> >> finding themselves, mounting one filesystem after another until they
> >> find some distinct marker file to identify where to find the rest of
> >> their data. Others auto-mount and poke around for auto-loading of
> >> extensions unless such features are disabled by a boot-time option.
> >
> > I've only come across LiveCDs which scan the drive and create mount
> > points - but not mount any device unless explicitly asked to do so by
> > the user.
> >
> > However, I wouldn't be surprised if some more recent installation CDs go
> > further than that, as Joshua claims.
> >
> > Joshua, which LiveCDs behave in the way you describe by automounting
> > partitions and searching fs?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Mick
>
> I haven't seen any install cds that do that, but DSL and, if I recall,
> TinyCore/MicroCore look for extensions in a default path on the local
> filesystems.

I had to look again at DSL because last time I used it a couple of years ago
it definitely did not automount anything - unless ... you had set up a
persistent /home or settings directory.  In that case it would mount the
device in which you saved your settings, but this would be something the user
would set up and run consciously at boot time.

> One thing I'm fairly sure on, though, is that without the
> "-f" flag, mount won't take the risk on an unclean NTFS, and instead
> just tosses an "are you sure?" message, which would make me presume
> even those livecds that do look for extensions wouldn't risk the
> damage there.

From what I recall the Linux kernel NTFS driver will mount a unclean NTFS
partition regardless (can't recall for sure though), but the ntfs-3g will
behave as you describe above.

So in answer to the OP questions, the only way I can think that a Linux LiveCD
would corrupt a NTFS partition is to mount it with the Linux Kernel driver as
rw and then create or edit a file.

If this was not the case and fs corruption ensued, then it would be just a
coincidence that the drive had some bad blocks and they decided to play up at
the time the MSWindows fs was being booted into.
--
Regards,
Mick