On 07/13/2011 01:33 AM, Grant wrote:
When I was using an Nvidia video card, I noticed a strange sort of
fuzzy edge effect if I used nvidia-drivers.  xf86-video-nouveau didn't
have the same problem.  Now I've switched to an ATI video card and
unfortunately I have the same problem with xf86-video-ati.  I tried to
enable the new modesetting radeon driver in the kernel to see if that
would help but it doesn't work with my HD4250 card yet.  Does anyone
know how to fix this?  Here's a photo of the effect around the mouse
cursor:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/804/cursor.jpg

- Grant

Hi Grant,

just a shot in the dark:
The image looks to me as thos would be an analog instead of
an digital problem.
May be both propietary drivers switch to the highest possible
data transfer rate and this triggers the problem.
To check, whether this may be the problem:
Instruct the driver to use either low resolution or low refresh
rates. Check both.
If the problem changes signifiently: Change the cables.
May be only a pluf is not inserted correctly.
Addtionally you can move the cables arround to see whether
this will change the shadows around the cursor in any way...

Good luck! :)
Best regards
mcc

Thanks for that.  I'm still working on it but adding radeon.audio=0 to
grub cleaned it up about 75%.

- Grant

It turns out the radeon.audio=0 setting disables HDMI data packets and
puts the HDMI port in DVI mode.  mcc, I'm starting to think you had it
pretty right on.  I've tried two different cables with the same result
but I'm thinking this may be some sort of electrical interference
issue.

HDMI is digital, so there can be no interference. This looks more like a driver bug.

Btw, why are you connecting to your monitor with HDMI? For computer monitors, you use the DVI port, not HDMI. HDMI is for TVs. Unless of course your monitor lacks a digital DVI port (DVI-I or DVI-D). If it only has a DVI-A port, only then is HDMI the better solution.