Last night I decided I wanted to create a new Gentoo virtual appliance.
So I build a Drupal[1] appliance. Though I really don't know anything
about Drupal, but I managed to get one made.

I uploaded a "pruned" appliance. Which means I removed the gentoo
toolchain, so it's not upgradable or manageable in the Gentoo sense.
It's just the appliance.  But I did so just to see how small I could
make it.  It turns out to be a 63M compressed vmdk[2] with 72 packages
installed[3] (excluding virtuals). Anyway see below if anyone wants to
play with it, and let me know if you have any suggestions.

-a

[1] http://drupal.org/
[2] http://starship.python.net/crew/marduk/drupal-dist.vmdk.bz2
[3] http://starship.python.net/crew/marduk/drupal-dist-package.lst