Hi, Stroller.

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 05:53:48PM +0100, Stroller wrote:
> A bit of a long shot, this, but has anyone got any older Portage
> snapshots kicking around, by any chance?

I have a /usr/portage from 2009-12-20 on my "rescue" system.  I don't
think I've synched it after that (but I'm too lazy to look up the `find'
info page to check properly).

Is that any good?

> I have a box which hasn't been updated in 2 - 3 years. It would
> normally be easiest to format and reinstall, but in this case the box
> in question is a PS3 which was installed using the experimental PS3
> stages which are (I think) no longer available.

> I'm pretty sure this machine has some PS3-specific hacks applied, so I
> think an attempt to upgrade the hard way is worthwhile. If it doesn't
> work I'll probably try Debian, or something.

> I have no illusions that attempting this *will* be a pain the ass,
> because in the past I've updated machines which have been ignored for
> 18 months, and that required lots of manually digging in the Portage
> CVS attic and copying files into the local overlay by hand.

> So if anyone has any Portage snapshots that are sufficiently old left
> lying around from an old install, it would save me that grunt work.

> Alternatively, if you, too, have a machine that hasn't been updated a
> long time, maybe you'll be able to help me by tarring up a copy of the
> Portage tree.

As a matter of interest, how, exactly, are you going to use the old
portage?  Is it a matter of updating in two moderate chunks rather than
everything at once?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).