Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 06:41:31 -0500, Dale wrote:

I have not been able to get the nv drivers to work.  It has been so
long since I had to use them, it appears I have forgot how to use
them.  I'm not sure I have ever used them since I been using Gentoo.  I
found the link on the xorg site.  It wasn't very useful for me.  I do
have xf86-video-nv installed tho.  I thought that was it.  However,
when I change the driver in xorg.conf to nv, no more GUI.
Instead of editing xorg.conf, move it out of the way and let X figure
things out for itself.

You could also try the VESA drivers, slow but reliable.

OK. How do I do the VESA drivers? Honestly, the only trouble I can recall out of nvidia was upgrading the kernel then rebooting and realizing I forgot to rebuild against the new kernel. I don't recall every having anything like this. The biggest GUI problem I can recall was hal and xorg. Let's not go down that road. < dale starts to steam > Is VESA a kernel option or some package I need to install?

I really want to figure this out but not just for me. Surely I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Dale

:-)  :-)