On Friday, July 22 at 11:46 (-0700), Grant said:

> That's what I'm curious about.  If some swap is good, why isn't more
> better?  Paul has demonstrated that a Linux system will put at least
> 10GB to use and probably much more given the opportunity.  Disk space
> is so cheap, why isn't everyone running a 10GB or 100GB swap since
> Linux will actually put it to use?

Vitamin C is good for you, but if you take a whole bottle of vitamin C
tablets you will die :P

Seriously... I think you are just not understanding what is being said
(or maybe just trying to over-generalize it).  There is never a time I'm
using 100G of vm at one time, so why do i need 100G of swap?  Sure, I
could create a 100G swap partition, but the kernel is *never* going to
need to use 100G of swap at once (unless I have a *seriously* broken
app), so why bother?  Moreover, 100G is going to take a LONG time to
swap in/out (remember disk is slower than RAM).

What we are saying is, swap is good for certain conditions (which I
don't feel like explaining again).