It looks like freemind looks for Look and Feel properties in
/home/akio/.freemind/user.properties.
user.properties is set to use java swing GTK library (GTK.LookAndFeel). Not
sure how exactly that works but that is my guess. You might want  to backup
user.properties file and try to edit it (remove) GTK from there. Maybe
emerging freemind with USE="-gtk" would help?