Dale writes:

> Neil Bothwick wrote:

>> I wasn't thinking of systems with that much memory. Like you, I'd expect
>> your system to be faster, even if not by much, using tmpfs.

> That's what I was expecting too.  It is confusing for sure.

Years ago, I used tmpfs, and it was slightly faster, but on average only
few seconds in an hou-long emerge.

I don't use tmpfs any more, as 8G of RAM is barely enough to run KDe here.

> Speaking of tmpfs, I should have re-emerged OOo on tmpfs.  It filled up
> /var and died, just a few minutes before it would have finished.  Oh
> well, I'll make /var bigger next time.  Maybe a couple more Gbs.

Well, if you were using LVM, this would take less than a minute:

lvresize -L +2G /dev/myVolumeGroup/myVarVolume
resize2fs /dev/myVolumeGroup/myVarVolume

> I put
> that http-replicator on here when I decided to keep my old rig up to
> date and it just eats up my /var.  I guess I could move http* directory
> tho.  ^_^

Sure, either by changing some config file, or crating a symlink to the
new location.

I have a partition for portage stuff (trees, distfiles, packages,
tmpdir), as I don't like my /var to become full just because I emerge
something large.

        Wonko