Hi there,

I kinda feel I'm opening myself up for ridicule in asking this, but I'm on x86
"stable" (i.e. not ~x86) and this behaviour seems to have changed recently.

During a recent `emerge --sync` I received the "an update to portage is
available - you're strongly advised to take it" message.

I'm sure that in the past `emerge -u world` would update portage.

Now:

# emerge -up world

Calculating dependencies... done!

[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.3 [2.0.2]

# emerge -up system

Calculating dependencies... done!

[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.3 [2.0.2]

# emerge -up portage

Calculating dependencies... done!

[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/portage-2.1.10.3 [2.1.9.42] USE="less%*"

#

The answer to this, for me, is not to move to testing / unstable / ~x86
portage. Not on this box, I don't think, at least. I've seen that suggested
here in the past as "oh, everyone should be on ~86 / ~amd64 for portage" (is
that the 2.2 series of Portage??) and really I don't see the need for myself.
The current version really does everything I need, and I'd rather stay as much
x86 ("stable") as possible.

What I'm really asking for here is a sanity check:
Is this the behaviour I should be seeing?
Was I really seeing `emerge -u world` updating portage before?

I don't really have a problem with `emerge -u portage` then `emerge -u world`,
I'm just wondering if that's right.
Is there a better way to include portage in my regular maintenance updates?

TIA,

Stroller.