On 2011-08-01, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:

> Use oldconfig. Running 'oldconfig' will prompt you for any new
> sections/drivers that have appeared since your last kernel. Running
> 'menuconfig' will silently accept all of the defaults for these new
> options.
>
> Why is it safer if only the new stuff gets defaulted? Because on more
> than one occasion, there has been a group of drivers, e.g. wireless
> chipsets, that got a new "enable anything" option. So while you may
> have had your Atheros chipset enabled in the old kernel, the new
> kernel has a "enable wireless networking" option that defaults to
> "no" despite the fact that your old kernel had one or more wireless
> chipsets enabled.
>
> This also happened with the entire SATA subsystem,

Been there, tripped over that. ;)

I didn't pay close enough attention when running "make oldconfig" and
suddenly no hard-drives with the new kernel.  It took me an
embarassingly long time to figure out what had gone wrong...

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Did an Italian CRANE
                                  at               OPERATOR just experience