>> Does anyone know how to assign an IP address to a wireless interface
>> in AP mode?  It can't be specified in /etc/conf.d/net because
>> /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 is not executed since hostapd handles the whole
>> thing.  'ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.1' works but I know I've done it
>> before without issuing that command each time I reboot, I just can't
>> remember how.
>
> In /etc/conf.d/net as usual, just disable iwconfig and wpa_supplicant
> in modules_wlan0

I've added 'INTERFACES=wlan0' to /etc/conf.d/hostapd, created the
/etc/init.d/net.wlan0 link, and added the following to
/etc/conf.d/net:

modules_wlan0=( "!iwconfig" "!wpa_supplicant" )
config_wlan0="192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255"

When I start hostapd it tries to start net.wlan0 but I get "WARNING:
net.wlan0 has started, but is inactive" and hostapd won't start.  If I
don't add the INTERFACES line and start hostapd and then net.wlan0,
hostapd starts but has no IP address and net.wlan0 gives me the same
"inactive" error.

I know I've had this working several times before but I always have a
hard time remembering how I did it.  I've definitely never disabled
iwconfig and wpa_supplicant before.

- Grant