On Wed 17 August 2011 15:08:09 kashani did opine thusly:
> On 8/17/2011 2:43 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > I'm just itching to type up the long list of horror stories I've
> > stored from people doing their own DNS thinking it was real
> > easy.
> >
> > But there's this little thing called an NDA and it says I can't
> > :-(
> heh, I think I can dredge one up for you that no one will care about
> these days.
>
>       This was at a large ISP in '99 known for their free Internet.

I'm glad you detailed that story, now I know I'm not the only one :-)

Long long ago (in the 90s) when a current colleague started working
here, he wanted access to the hidden primary (like your ns00).

He was given a bare machine (no OS) with these instructions:

It's 10am, by 4pm I want a name server running on that hardware,
authoritative for domain xxx.yyy.zzz, live on the internet, with
firewall installed and all reasonable security precautions taken. You
do not have to register xxx.yyy.zzz with any registrar, we will test
it with "dig @".

He passed :-)

The same fellow 3 years later found one day that the company zone had
not loaded after an update (the name servers are self-hosted in that
zone) and the support person that did it had done it twice before
recently. Ten minutes later an ACL was in place and only systems could
edit the zone. The entire company was told to propose sub-domains for
their own teams and systems would delegate them - the uproar was
fantastic but he stood his ground. He was 100% right of course and we
still benefit today.

Lessons learned:
  - do not ever mess with your DNS admin
  - $DEITY says "sir" in hushed tones when addressing the dns admin

>       Bind
> 8 was fresh on the scene and somehow Network Engineering was in
> charge of DNS rather than Systems. My intern and I came up with a
> plan to have ns00.int as the internal master and make the rest of
> name servers slave off of it. All ns00 did was supply the
> production name servers with zones.
>
> ns00 --> ns01(vip) --> ns01-[01-03]
>      \--> ns02(vip) --> ns02-[01-03]
>       \-> ns03(vip) --> ns03-[01-03]
>
> Three virtual IPs and three name servers behind each vip.
>
> This way we could have tools deal with updating zones on ns00 on the
> internal network and not have to push to a number of name servers.
> This worked well for a few months and we generally forgot about it.
> Almost a month after a reorganization in the local datacenter DNS
> went down. Well not down down, but our zones weren't working. After
> a hectic hour of freaking out, troubleshooting random things, and
> bouncing from machine to machine by IP address because none of DNS
> worked we realized our mistake. The TTL of the zone itself was set
> to three weeks. In the move Bind had silently died on ns00 which we
> didn't monitor because it was inside the corp network. The slaves
> dutifully stayed up and working till they hit the TTL of the zones
> and demanded to speak to the master again. Restarting Bind on the
> prod servers did nothing other than remove the already expired
> cache.
>       Once restarted Bind on ns00 (and made it part of the runlevel)
the

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com