On Wednesday, August 17, 2011 10:18:25 AM Grant wrote:

> >> I'm not sure what you mean.  The backups are all stored on the backup
> >> server.
> >
> > Each machine to be backed up has a different account on the backup
> > server. This will prevent machine A from accessing the backups of
> > machine B.
> >
> > This way, if one machine is compromised, only this machines backups can
> > be accessed using the access-keys for the backup. And this machines
> > keys can then be revoked without affecting other backups.
>
> That's a great idea.  I will do that.  Should that backup account have
> any special configuration, or just a standard new user?

I would suspect just a standard new user with default permissions.
Eg. only write-access to his/her own files.

And I'd prevent that user account from being able to get a shell-account.

A ".bashrc" with "exit" as the last or first entry is a nice touch. Especially
if you set the permissions such that it works for the user but the user can
never change that file.

--
Joost