On Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:49:16 PM Alex Schuster wrote:

> > > Although a value > 0 helps against fragmentation. And when
> > > rdiff-backup has failed because it ran out of space, regressing to
> > > the previous sane state will need a little free space.
> >
> > Good points.  Should 10GB (1% of 1TB) do it?
>
> This I don't know. I use this value for large partitions of multimedia data,
> because I do not want to waste space (no matter how big the drives are,
> mine are always quite full), and performance should not be a big issue
> here. I keep the 5% default other partitions, like /home. BTW, you can also
> specify fractions like 0.5% if you like.

I tend to leave it at default for most partitions. Only the ones serving the
fileshare have it set to 0%. But these are on LVM partitions and I can
increase their size when needed.

> Another thing: Be sure to have enough inodes on the file system, I have run
> out of them in the past. Not only once.

I usually run out of these during installation time when I use ext2/3
filesystems for the portage tree.
That's why I tend to use reiserfs for that.

--
Joost