On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike)
> <klond...@gentoo.org> wrote:

>> > I generated a new key but used the wrong filename so it overwrote a
>> > key that has an associated certificate.
>> Hopefully you can still ext3undelete it Worst case you have to parse the
>> whole disk looking for a pattern with a custom C program (AHH the pain!)
>>
>> There are file carver tools I've not had any luck with them, though.
>

> --
> :wq

As Francisco mentioned, depending on the filesystem you're using, there may
exist an 'undelete' tool which came with the util package. If not, then
assuming you have at least a few gigs of free space on your drive/partition
the chances that the file was /actually/ overwritten are quite slim, so the
cert is most likely still there. Any decent "data recovery" program should
be able to find it (and just about every single other file you've ever
deleted). I wish I could recommend one, but I thankfully have not needed one
recently (hopefully this won't jinx it :) ).

Good Luck!

- Matt