On Aug 14, 2005, at 4:12 PM, Zac Medico wrote:

Paul Hoy wrote:

Hi all,
This email isn't intended to troll, but to explore Linux variants that share certain characteristics. I really like Gentoo and I like that fact that it does a pretty good job at supporting Gnome, however, it's still behind other releases, such as Fedora, in terms of when it releases updates, etc. Linux from Scratch looks very interesting: it appears to rapidly support the latest updates and it has decent documentation. Does any one have any perspectives on Linux from Scratch, from a Gentoo point-of-view? Does anyone wish to share a comparison of the two?
Thanks all,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Are we really far behind?  That's difficult to believe.  For what packages specifically?  Do you know how to unmask unstable packages (marked M or M~ at packages.gentoo.org)?

Zac
--

Hi Zac,

I just grabbed a few semi-random examples from the Fedora feed-list (http://fedoraproject.org/infofeed/). These are stable updates between July and August.

xpdf-3.00-20
vim-common-6.3.086-0
openoffice.org-core-1.9.112-1
gcc-4.0.1-4.fc4.i386
all the mysql files
all the php files
xorg-x11-xdm-6.8.2-37
metacity-2.10.0-2

NetworkManager (no Gentoo version)
ethereal-gnome (Can't find a Gentoo equivalent)
kernel-xenU-devel-2.6.12-1.13 (no Gentoo version)

zlib (Gentoo has more recent release than Fedora)
gnome-panel-2.10.1-10.1.i386.rpm (Gentoo has more recent release than Fedora)