On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 14:06:23 -0700
walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A recent buglet in the wget package made me aware that openssl
> competes with gnutls in certain ways.  Even nss and libssh2 may be
> competing in the same space, if maybe to a smaller extent.
>
> Anyone here really understand the tradeoffs involved in the use of
> these useflags, and why I might want to choose one over the other?
> Actually ATM I have all four of those useflags enabled and I really
> don't understand the potential consequences of my choices, which
> makes me worry just a bit.

It all comes down to the relative quality of the packages involved,
there's no straight answer. Oftentimes one package has modern features
you need and want but is less stable|more buggy than the old package.

It's damn annoying because there's no firm recommendations, you had to
dig deep into the code to answer the question "what's best for ME?"

At least the ebuilds usually pick one out of the two if both USE flags
are defined and usually tell you in an elog.

Apologies for the reply which is a no-answer, it's the best I can do :-)

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com