Hi, Michael.

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 07:03:19PM +0200, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 6. September 2011, 16:43:39 schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
> > Is that right?  How about it being saner to conform to standardised
> > interfaces, protocols and formats?

> How about IPP?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Printing_Protocol

> Oh wait... that's what cups is using.

Ah yes, a standard.  So we have the choice between all the IPP
implementations.  That's cups and, ... err - is there another one?

But why should I have to use an over the top bloated "Internet" protocol?
I've got one single printer on the end of a USB cable.  I want a simple
spooler, as simple as possible and not simpler.

> > No, the sane alternative is to use the `lpr' command, possibly augmented
> > by special arguments for particular spoolers, but always having a
> > fallback to standard `lpr'.  That way, everybody's happy.  Even me.  ;-)

> How about the lpr command provided by cups?
> Does it not work for you?

I believe it did work for me for the short time I had cups installed.
More pertinent is, why won't the lpr command work for LibreOffice?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).