Pretty lame and pretty OT, but here it is:

I've installed Opera... in the last 40 min or so, I've attempted to
determine how to set a home page.  Googled etc.

Directions found on google appear NOT to apply to linux version.

Navigate to and click the preferences link at top of opera page.

NOT... there is no such link.

So, how is it done... well maybe a preferences file found in ~/.opera/

vim operaprefs.ini  ... and then insert:
Home URL=www.google.com/ig
   (save and restart) .. once again NOT.

Even watched a video... which shows a nice person clicking on
preferences Icon... but well ... there isn't one.  Check all available
toolbars by clicking `customize' on existing top mast but not finding
a menu like that.

Is opera really so poorly designed as to make such a simple operation
so time consuming, or am I missing something really basic (as usual).

How is such a simple operation done?