On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 11:15:40 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:

> Perhaps udev's problem is that it's too complex, as a result of having
> too large a problem scope.

The problem, AIUI, is the udev can run any programs specified in the
rules files, and they may not be available before /usr is mounted. If the
problem is only restricted to udev, one solution may be to have a
two-stage startup. First the /dev hierarchy is created, then later on,
after filesystems have been mounted, the monitor is started and rules
executed.

As no solution comparable with this is being proposed, I can only assume
that there is a lot more to it. I'll probably switch to a separate /boot
and / on a LV with an initramfs, but that doesn't mean I have to like
this being forced on me. The only reason I am considering it now is that
I recently set up a system like this and can still remember most of what
I did (I hope).

--
Neil Bothwick

Barth's Distinction:
There are two types of people: those who divide people into two types, and
those who don't.