On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 16:21:11 -0400
Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I do not have an initramfs, do not
> > need one, see no need to have one and have not yet seen a valid
> > technical reason for why having one is ideal.
>
> It's not "ideal" (I don't think anybody has said that). Almost nothing
> is "ideal" in computer science.
>
> Maybe it's not enough for you, but I repeat: we need dynamic /dev
> trees, udev giveus that, the udev code lives in user space, we need an
> early user space => initramfs.

I didn't say I don't use udev, I do. I too have cameras, USB gadgets
and a huge array of possible hotplug objects in the shops I can buy at
any time. udev makes that all work well.

I don't agree with the assertion that "user space => initramfs".

You obviously must start udev as soon as possible in the boot process.
For it to work at all, one of the minimum requirements is something
mounted at / containing udev rules. This can be an initramfs or a
physical disk or anything else that can possibly behave as a block
device. I know of nothing in the kernel that *requires* it to be an
initramfs. The code should be generic enough that I can mount whatever
I want, then do whatever I need to do within limits and finally pivot
mount the real /

I don't see a reasonable argument as to why things cannot continue to
behave just like this.

> > My gentoo systems do not
> > run binary distros, I have no need for a generic mechanism designed
> > to cope with any hardware Fedora might happen to find itself
> > booting on, hardware that the devs have no idea of when they
> > compile their distros.
>
> Hey, I compile all my modules inside my kernels. That has nothing to
> do with udev, because you can connect via USB or eSATA *any* hardware
> into your computer, and the /dev tree needs to update dynamically.
>
> Maybe *you* don't want that, and that's fine: but the majority of
> users do want that. Your use-case is not the most important one in the
> whole world.

I never said it is, I never said we don't need udev. I am saying in
this thread that I do not understand the new requirements for /usr -
everything there can be mandated to be in / instead where it
is guaranteed to be accessible to udev
--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com