Paul Colquhoun wrote:
>From my point of view, as an old Solaris admin, point 3) is the problem. If what-ever-it-is is needed during boot, it should be in /sbin or /bin or /lib If it is curently in /usr/* then it is in the wrong place, and that package should be modified. Later in the thread you mentioned a bluetooth keyboard. This obviously requires either a driver module, or a bluetooth server process, or similar, which belong in /lib{32,64}/modules or /sbin Having udev able to execute arbitrary code during boot looks like yet another large security hole opening up. At least keep the code it can execute tied down to the directories that were set up for this purpose.

Picking a random post to reply to.

I been using Linux for a while. Let me see if I understand this correctly. As I understand it, when a system boots it needs /bin, /sbin, /lib*, and /etc and nothing else other than /boot for grub to load the kernel. Those directories are for booting the system and for "system" operations. That is my understanding of how it has been since further back than I care to explore. Things that are used after a system boots, such as things in the default runlevel or KDE, goes into /usr somewhere. This is the reason that /usr and /var can be on separate partitions. I have always understood that /usr and /var can be put on separate partitions for security reasons or to put some larger partitions on separate drives. If I recall correctly, websites files are under /var. Those can get pretty large quick I would guess.

So, now someone has decided to change this and it seems a few think this is nothing users should worry about. I don't run a large server or anything but this still worries me. I don't like the fact that the changes I had planned will now require me to also install one more thing to break. My system is simple and I like to keep it that way. The fanciest thing I have is a camera and a printer that I use once in a blue moon. I want to put /usr on a spare partition because it is growing fairly quickly with the KDE4 updates and others too. Now, it looks like I have to do a whole redo of everything. Something that was simple just got complicated.

My choices are:

1: move from Gentoo to something else. I'm seriously considering this one. If I can learn Gentoo, I can learn any distro! LFS may be excluded tho.
2: Stick with Gentoo and hope this is corrected like hal was dealt with.
2b:  Go with LVM for everything and have a init* to boot.
2c:  Move /usr and use init* with no LVM.
2d:  Just redo my whole system with a larger / partition.

I liked my original plan better.

1:  Go to boot runlevel.
2:  Mount what will be new /usr partition to some mount point.
3:  Copy /usr to the new partition
4:  rm the old /usr data.
5:  Mount the new /usr partition and add it to fstab
6:  Switch back to default runlevel and life goes on.

Can I slap whoever started this? The more I think on this, the worse it sounds. I can't even imagine someone who runs some large server. Any hair left? lol

Dale

:-)  :-)