On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 16:41:39 -0300
Francisco Ares <fra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have managed to delete /var/db. I know this was a very stupid thing
> to be done, but now it is done and /var/db is gone for good.
>
> Well, that is a good opportunity to have everything built again, time
> to try new CFLAGS, and so on.
>
> But there is a circular dependency that I do not know how to get rid
> of: "glibc" and "gcc" depend on each other. They are both here, but
> portage does not know that.
>
> How am I supposed to go on?
>
> By the way, I have a Pentium Core 2 Quad and I am using a "x86"
> profile. How would I switch to a "amd64" ? As far as I know, my
> processor is capable of this.

As Michael replied elsewhere, this is hard. It may even be almost
impossible and it's definitely not trivial.

You intend to rebuild everything anyway, I would recommend you install
over the old system and retain /etc/portage and the world file. Then
emerge -e world.

This will take you about 30 minutes longer than rebuilding world if you
hadn't taken out /var/db - one of the few cases where a re-install
really is the correct thing to do. Good luck.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com