On Sunday, September 11, 2011 08:44:20 PM James Wall wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 4:46 PM, David W Noon <dwn...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 16:07:23 -0500, Dale wrote about Re:
> >
> > [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot:

> >> I'm doing some thinking and reading.  I'm either going to go back to
> >> a rpm based thing and let something besides me deal with the init*
> >> stuff
> >
> > IMO, better to use Debian or Slackware.  I went through "RPM Hell" back
> > in the days when I ran S.u.S.E. (complete with full-stops in the name)
> > and I will never go back.

Don't remind me, I used to install RPM-systems with the option "install
everything" just to avoid having to find all the dependencies.
After install, I'd compile my own software (installing over distro-supplied
files) or simply do a full new install. (Like I do with MS Windows...)

> >> or stick around and dive into this init* crap and add LVM on
> >> top.
> >
> > Watch this space.  You might read something to your advantage in the
> > next few days.

If you're building something and needs testers, let me know.

> > I have some scripts that generate LVM rebuild scripts.  These scan the
> > current logical volumes and generate lvcreate commands into a script
> > that can rebuild your LVM set-up in seconds.  You (or anybody else) are
> > welcome to a copy if you wish.
>
> I am interested in the backup scripts to help improve my backup/restore
> system.

Same here, I've been using LVM for a while and I generally remember how to fix
things when it breaks. But as these occurences are now rare and far between, I
always need to find my old notes again and then update them to new syntax.

--
Joost