On Monday 12 September 2011 21:31:09 Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> They could have put everything on /usr 30 years ago, if they'd have seen
> fit.  They saw then good reason not to.  What you and KS seem oblivious
> to is the reason for /bin, /sbin.  It is to allow a small boot so as to
> permit system maintenance - fsck, resizing or moving partions, even
> undeleting files - all these things are difficult, or even impossible
> perhaps, if the pertinent partition is mounted.

It wouldn't be everyone's favourite method, but for those purposes I always
install a small rescue system at the end of the the disk, with its own entry
in grub.conf, and with fstab and mount points arranged for convenient
maintenance.

And nowadays, of course, the ready availability of rescue systems on USB, CD
etc saves you even having to set that up if you prefer not to. That might
not be useful on server farms, though.

--
Rgds
Peter           Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23