On Thursday, 15. September 2011 11:25:56 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
> On Thursday, September 15, 2011 01:58:59 AM Trifu Catalin Florin wrote:
> > On Thursday, 15. September 2011 01:16:12 Trifu Catalin Florin wrote:
> <snipped undecypherable part>
>
> > ----
> > Dear Michael
> >
> > Thank you for your help!
> >
> > I didn't reboot my machine as the installation is not complete yet. How
> > can I reboot when the installation isn't finish, if things that should
> > work don't work in the first place?
>
> I could not find the currently running kernel you are using in this thread.

It's 2.6.19-something.
He hit's a problem with new coreutils running on kernels older than 2.6.22
Something related to futimesat, that was introduced with this kernel.

> Possibly, you are hitting an issue caused by a feature lacking in that
> kernel. What did you boot your machine with prior to starting the
> installation? Please also include the version and URL where you downloaded
> this from.
> > I didn't try your advices as I don't now how to try them. How do I
> > deactivate sandbox?
>
> Michael "grimlog" Schreckenbauer actually already told you how to do this:
> **
> If you cannot upgrade your kernel right now, you can disable the sandbox
> FEATURES="-sandbox" in /etc/make.conf
> (I do not recommend this)
> **
>
> The "sandbox" is a security feature. If you disable it to get the install
> working and a newer kernel-version. Please undo this change after the first
> boot into the new kernel.

Ack.

> > > I tried to search for
> >
> > "touch: setting times of" gentoo
> > but I don't understand how this is related to my problem.
> >
> > Yahoo reply broken? I don't know what to say about that... gmail works
> > in
> > the same way, outlook in the same way, thunderbird in the same way.
>
> In other words, they're all broken.
> A good Email client will allow you to send non-HTML email. Puts "quote"
> marks in front of the lines and add a "bladibla wrote this" or similar
> line. It should also allow you to easily put your reply at the bottom of
> the email.
>
> GMail has been mentioned a few times as doing things wrongly. I won't even
> mention the many ways in which MS Outlook does things badly and Thunderbird
> wants to be a copy of MS Outlook.

Afaict, there are quite a few people here using thunderbird. Most replies are
wellformed. Outlook, well... it's not a mail-client after all.

Best,
Michael