OK. The Chief Idiot is going to experiment some. You ALL know what this means right? Yep, I'm about to really make a mess of things so here comes some questions. This is a result of the /usr and udev crap. So, go to -dev and blame them, not me. ;-)

OK. I have three drives in my rig. One is for data files, mounted on /data ironically, and has nothing to do with the OS. So, for that reason I'm going to leave it out of this. So, I now have two drives in my rig that are about to be OS related. sda is a 160Gb and sdb is a 250Gb. I'm going to leave the first one, sda, as is and will use sdb for testing. Before I start, I want to sort of get my brain wrapped back around this. It has been a LONG time since I dual booted Linux and that was only for a month or so. I have grub installed on the MBR of sda. My boot partition is on sda1 like most likely 99% of the rest of you and it will stay there even after all this is done. I got /boot from the old handbook days. When I put my new install on sdb, with this new initramfs thingy and quite possibly LVM, do I leave grub on sda's MBR and just point to sdb for the kernel and init thingy and all will be well?

If this all works out, I will be moving everything from sdb to sda anyway. My plan is to get them both bootable, then use one to copy to another after I have learned a bit about this mess. I haven't got that far yet but wanting to figure this init thingy out before I'm forced to which will only make it taste even worse.

What I am reading so far:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs

I did a google search and found some others boot this is more Gentoo oriented. So, anything wrong with this as a guide? Pointers to others if they are better would be great.

Here starts a learning process.  It could get bumpy.  lol

Dale

:-)  :-)