On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 11:58:11 -0500
Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:47:01 -0500
> > Dale<rdalek1...@gmail.com>  wrote:

> >> I could have swore reiserfs4 was in the kernel.  Sure enough, it
> >> ain't. I'll wait then.  I don't want to take the chance that
> >> something goes belly up then not have a bootable way to fix things.
> >
> > reiser4 was never in the kernel and the odds of it ever making it
> > there were about zero (coding style issues and many other things
> > that pissed Linux off). And that was in the days when Hans was
> > physically located in a place where he was allowed to code.
> >
> > For all practical purposes Reiser4 is dead. I haven't heard a peep
> > out of anyone claiming to maintain it for a few years now.
> >

> New question.  I'm playing with LVM.  What is the best file system to
> use that with?

The best one to use is the one you want to use.

LVM has nothing to do with type of filesystem, there is no such thing
as this one works and that one doesn't. So pick the one that suits your
needs.

>  I know LVM can shrink and grow so a file system
> should be able to do the same, online would be great but not
> required.  That would be good for a / partition but not needed for
> the rest.  I can always go to single user and resize things.

Wrong question. See above.

> I don't want XFS tho.  I used it before and it was a total disaster.
> I have a UPS but I also recall having to pull the plug when hal
> showed up too.  No need for a repeat.
>
> Hmm, maybe I am thinking of ext4?  Life's confusing.  :/

ext4 is fine for your needs. I will be mighty surprised if your usage
ever hits ext4's limits.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com